Monday, May 12, 2008

I think it's dark enough

My mom just sent me a copy of Three Cups of Tea, which I have heard great things about. I started reading last night and just before doing my typical "nodding off while reading in bed", I read the introduction and beginning of the first chapter. Just below the chapter heading is a Persian Proverb which reads, "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars".
I stopped for a moment and in my semi-coherent state started to consider the meaning of this proverb. Initially my cynical side slid in and thought, "Well, I don't think I see the "stars" of my life just yet, so it better not mean my life has to any darker." Not that I feel I have a dark life, but more that I feel I'm a little in the dark about where to go with my life or what to do.
And then the more I thought about it I started to consider the fact that maybe I just need to look up. Maybe the stars are there waiting to be seen and I just need to take some action in trying to see them.
So that's what I'm working on at present, trying to figure out what action to take. My goal this week is to send out a few (at least 2-3 resumes) and at least 1 school application. We'll see what stars come from that.

1 comment:

Britt said...

Mandy, I'm seeing a side of you I've never seen. I never knew you were such an intellectual. :) Maybe I was too busy bossing you around. (I hope you'll forgive me someday.)
That book is fantastic. It was much different than what I expected. Maybe it will help you to "see your stars" and figure out what you want to do next. There are certainly incredible opportunities out there that I'll have to wait a long time to take advantage of.
Of course you are right, there is no better place to look than up.